Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Hip to Knit Sqaures

My knitting time of late has been taken up with knitting blanket squares for the Save the Children Fund's Born to Knit campaign. Basically, you knit 20cm x 20cm (44sts x 88 rows) squares in 8ply (dk) pure wool and join 16 together to make a baby blanket. I have done some squares for the boy's school and have also vowed to make a whole blanket myself.

I am up to square 8, nearly halfway, and it has been really enjoyable. I think that charity knitting is great for the soul. Giving your time to create something for someone you will never meet is an interesting concept. I like to think that the item will be a cherished item that will be immensely handy to its recipient.

You know what I think would be cool? If some of the readers of this blog joined me in my charity knitting. You might want to knit one square and post it to me (email me for the address) to join squares made by others or do your own blanket and hand it in yourself. I will give a random, yarny prize to someone who joins me on the quest by either knitting a square and sending it to me or knitting their own blanket and posting a link in the comments.

Come on knitters, lets cover the world in wool!

14 comments:

Alrischa said...

Good charity to knit for! I started making squares for Stitches for Sisters, because newborns shouldn't go home from hospital wrapped in newspaper. 10x10cm squares are pretty little, though. Might make your group some... I think I've got some spare wool somewhere ;)

Erica said...

do you have a timeframe in mind for this project? i like knitting squares!

Jack said...

Good point Erica! Let's give ourselves plenty of time and say the 31st of October. Sound okay?

Aussie Maria said...

I belong to a group called Knit 4 Charity. It is a group based in Australia and that is where the items go. I enjoy knitting for charity. It has been a great way to test lots of patterns and to use up stash that I personally do not like - yes I am a yarn snob :-). I am currently doing some squares now, but they are slightly larger (our base size is usually 25cm)

Aussie Maria said...

Sorry, meant to put the link in if your interested
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/knit4charities/

Alrischa said...

According to the site http://www.savethechildren.org.au/what-you-can-do/campaigns/born-to-knit.html
it finishes on Sept 30. :(

WHY it is finishing, I cannot understand...

EleazarStark said...

Raw data storage, electronic transfer, and the management of electronic business information comprise the basic activities of an office automation system.

automation engineering company

Sophie Grace said...

I just wish to supply a enormous thumbs up with the great information you may have here for this post. It's stimulating game sims 4 cheats allow you to stop sims and objects from become stuck or trapped, so there's a practical use too them

urban fabs said...

Good news
Best Fabrication Companies in Bangalore

Barbara Nimmo said...

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this fantastic blog post about knitting squares! As someone who has recently taken up knitting as a hobby, I found your tips and instructions incredibly helpful.

The step-by-step guide you've provided is clear and easy to follow, making it perfect for beginners like me.
promocodehq

Ashlee Rolfson said...

I found this blog post on knitting squares to be quite interesting and informative. While it may not directly relate to my query about whether Does Discount Tire Do Oil Changes, I still wanted to drop a comment to express my appreciation for the creativity and passion displayed in this blog.

Timothee Lambert said...

"This blog is an absolute gem! It's informative, well-researched, and beautifully written. Kudos to the author for sharing such valuable insights."
denny's senior discount

Edvin Berg said...

"The dedication and expertise displayed in this blog are truly commendable. It's evident that the author takes great pride in delivering valuable content to their readers."
https://justamazingdiscounts.com/brand/necessary-clothing-discount-code/

Kit Charles said...

"This blog has a way of igniting curiosity and fostering a love for learning. It's a true gift to anyone seeking to expand their knowledge."
lowes moving coupon generator